Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Maradona sympathises with Ham, supports Tevez


Argentine football icon Diego Maradona has wished
Ezequiel Ham a fast recovery and defended Carlos
Tevez over his leg-breaking challenge.

Diego Maradona has offered words of support to both stricken
Argentinos Juniors midfielder Ezequiel Ham and Boca Juniors
star Carlos Tevez.

Ham suffered a sickening break to his right tibia and fibula in a
challenge with Tevez during a Primera Division match on
Saturday that Boca won 3-1.

Tevez offered a heartfelt apology after the game and was
pictured visiting Ham in hospital on Tuesday, while the
Argentine Football Association confirmed that the former
Manchester City and Juventus forward would not face any
retrospective punishment for the tackle.

Global footballing icon Maradona, who was in charge of Tevez
as Argentina manager at the 2010 World Cup, cited his own
recovery from a serious injury in a message of encouragement
to Ham on Facebook.

"To overcome injuries so serious you have to have great
character and I am sure you will come back stronger than
before," he said. "And Tevez is not a bad person.

"I also had an injury like that when I played for Barcelona. And
then I recovered great, winning a World Cup in 1986. I wish you
a fast recovery."

Tevez has largely been backed by his fellow professionals since
the incident but Argentinos coach Nestor Gorosito accused him
of going into the challenge with Ham with an intention to hurt
the player – something Maradona was keen to dismiss.

"Instead of speaking ill of Tevez he should think about more
work for the good of his club," he added.

"Throughout his career Carlitos has never hurt anyone and
always leaves the soul on the field."

No comments:

Post a Comment