Monday, 10 August 2015

Totheham Rejected Me - Oxford


Photo credit: Getty Images
West Ham starlet Reece Oxford has revealed that he was rejected by Tottenham before signing for the Hammers.

Oxford, 16, became West Ham’s youngest ever player after starting in the 2-0 victory over Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

The midfielder - who is due to receive his GCSE results next week - impressed for Slaven Bilic’s side as they overcame the Gunners, and is convinced joining Upton Park’s youth academy at under-13 level was the right decision.

"I was at Tottenham for a while, but they did not want me, and I went to West Ham, which was the best option for me," Oxford told the Press Association.

"I was a striker back then (at Spurs). The (West Ham) youth academy is great. They like to push players - we have a few youngsters playing under-21s, which is good.

"West Ham have been giving the young players a chance who are coming through. Last season I was on the bench a few times, so I expected to be around the team again this season, but not starting against Arsenal."

Oxford’s calm display and imposing frame have seen him likened to fellow Upton Park youth graduate Rio Ferdinand, and the 16-year-old considers the comparison with the Manchester United and England great an honour.

"I have heard (the comparison) a lot,” he said. “It is good, he was great, so me being compared to him is an honour really.

"I have not played centre-back in a while, I can play both. It was just an honour to play. I found out on Saturday night, I was speaking about Match of the Day, and said that tomorrow I could be on it.

"(Bilic) asked me to sit and talk to everyone to help get them into position, not to let Arsenal catch us out on the break, to keep it simple and not try to do too much.

"The manager said my performance was good, it was a dream debut for me. I will just go back to celebrate with my mum and dad, my family - (and) I have got Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's shirt."

No comments:

Post a Comment