Saturday, 5 December 2015

Terry reveals Chelsea turned down £29M bid from City


John Terry has revealed that Manchester City offered
Chelsea £29 million for his services in 2009, but club owner
Roman Abramovich turned down the bid.

The Blues captain was made a prime target shortly after the
Abu Dhabi United Group's big-money takeover in
Manchester, leading to the centre-back having a serious
one-on-one with the Russian supremo.

“Man City offered £29 million for me in 2009 and Chelsea
turned it down,” Terry said in an interview with Jamie
Carragher for Sportsmail . “I had a meeting with Roman
Abramovich about it.

“I said to him: 'if the club accepts the offer then it tells me
you don't want me'. So then you haven't got a choice, you
have got to go. But if they don't accept the offer, it tells me
everything I need to know. Chelsea refused the offer and that
was it.”

Now 34, Terry has spent his entire career with the Stamford
Bridge side, and quashed any notion of playing for another
English club before he retires, but is open to a move to MLS.

“No, no chance [I'd play for another club in England].

America, maybe.

“Do I want to play? Of course I do. Physically I feel like I can
still play. But then decisions come into it with your family.

What if you go somewhere and it doesn't work out?”




No comments:

Post a Comment