Getty Images
"I’m buzzing and delighted to be committing my future long-term to Everton," McCarthy told the club's official website following the announcement. "I’ve loved every minute I’ve been here, with the fans having made me feel so welcome from day one, as well as the players and staff.
"This is a brilliant club with a brilliant fanbase and what we want to try to do is bring some success here and push forward. The gaffer is trying to build a team and a squad for the long-term and I’m excited to be a part of that and to be a part of this team."
The Republic of Ireland international had been monitored by both Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City this summer as negotiations over a new deal stalled. McCarthy was ready to leave the club in June, but Goal understands that the club's chairman Bill Kenright stepped in to oversee contract talks in order to ensure a solution was reached.
City were keeping close tabs on the midfielder due to his homegrown status, but dropped interest following the signing of Fabian Delph from Aston Villa, while Tottenham were also keen admirers, but refused to go over Everton's £16 million asking price.
However, the 24-year-old, who joined Everton from Wigan during the 2013 summer transfer window, has now quelled speculation by putting pen to paper on a deal believed to be worth £18 million, which will keep him at Goodison Park until 2020.

No comments:
Post a Comment