Get latest sporting updates on BBM: 24D8750B
New signing Wojciech Szczesny was pleased to have made his Roma debut in Saturday's 2-0 friendly loss to Sporting Lisbon but promptly called on his team-mates to set a higher standard for themselves after a "really bad" result.
The Poland international only arrived at the Stadio Olimpico on loan from Arsenal on Wednesday but he was introduced as a second-half substitute in the game at the Estadio Jose Alvalade.
“It’s good to have my first game under the belt," Szczesny told his new club's official website. "It was a good experience and I have had a really good week of training with the boys; there is a fantastic group of players here.
"But, obviously, we must set the standard higher for ourselves because when you play for a big club there are no friendly games and you have to win.
"So, the result is really bad."
However, Szczesny is no doubt that Roma are set for a successful season, with head coach Rudi Garcia already having made a huge impression on him.
“He is a great coach," the 25-year-old stated. "I have only trained with him for a week but he is a good guy with a great personality.
"He takes charge of the group – he is a leader."
Szczesny also argued that once he breaks down the language barrier, his organisation of the Roma defence will improve no end.
"I'm trying to learn Italian," the shot stopper added. "I have had a week of lessons every day and I'm making progress.
"I try to speak with the [defenders] obviously. Some of the guys speak good English too. So, if you give us a few weeks, the connection and the understanding between us will be good.”
Of course, Szczesny will have to battle it out with Morgan De Sanctis for a starting berth this term, with Garcia admitting that he deliberately gave the pair 45 minutes apiece against Sporting to show that he does not have a favourite at this point.
“Szczesny has not worked with us much, but I wanted to do two things – show my faith in De Sanctis by playing him from the start and give Szczesny a run-out too.
"We are lucky enough to have two excellent goalkeepers, like all great sides. It’s a very good thing for Roma.
"I think they are equal – there is no No.1 and No.2."


No comments:
Post a Comment